During a recent meeting at Camp Roberts Historical Museum with the North County Historical Co-op (NCHC), I announced a new program called the “Mayor’s Monthly Museum Tour”, where I will visit a different local museum each month beginning in January. The program is geared to publicize our local history venues and to spur attendance. The museums and societies in the area are all linked together in order to share ideas and plan events. I emphasized that I am very interested in urging the public to visit our many museums to learn about and to have an appreciation for the history in our area.
I stated I will urge my fellow mayors in North County to take the tours along with me when I visit Atascadero, Cambria and other North County cities and towns. I will begin these tours with a visit to the Camp Roberts Historical Museum, the largest Army museum in California.
The organizations that comprise the NCHC are the Paso Robles Pioneer Museum, the Paso Robles Historical Society in the Carnegie Library, the Camp Roberts Historical Museum, the Colony House Museum in Atascadero, the Santa Margarita Historical Society, the Templeton Historical Society and Museum, the Cayucos Historical Society, the Rios-Caledonia Adobe in San Miguel, the Mission San Miguel de Archangel, the Estrella Warbird Museum and the Cambria Historical Society and Museum.
Admission to most of the museums is free.
Tentative Mayor’s Museum Tour Dates:
- Camp Roberts Wednesday, January 13, 2016
- Pioneer Museum Wednesday, February 10, 2016
- Templeton Historical Society Wednesday, March 09, 2016
- Estrella Warbirds Wednesday, April 13, 2016
- Paso Robles Historical Society Wednesday, May 11, 2016
- Mission San Miguel Wednesday, June 08, 2016
- Atascadero Historical Society Wednesday, July 13, 2016
- Cambria Historical Society Wednesday, August 10, 2016
- Santa Margarita Historical Society Wednesday, September 14, 2016
- Rios-Caledonia Adobe Wednesday, October 12, 2016
- Cayucos Historical Society Wednesday, November 09, 2016